Re[2]: [Mailman-Developers] ZODB and ZEO for mailman

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@amber.org
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 01:07:04 -0400

John Morton [jwm@plain.co.nz] wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 00:18:28 -0400 (EDT) you wrote:
>
>  > On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:
>  >
>  > > Should Mailman gain a database abstraction which allows ZODB or a
>  > > variety of SQL databases to be plugged in underneath, everybody wins
>  >
>  > Just for the same of completeness and/or if you missed it in my reply to
>  > Chuq, I totally agree with this. Given such an abstraction, they who
>  > wanted Zope integration can go about getting it done, which may just be me
>  > 'n' Ken for all I know. ;-)
>
> Sounds great to me. In fact I think that, with a bit of negotiation with
> DC, the ZODB part of Zope could be distributed as a separate library with
> appropriate license terms so that Mailman can use it as Just Another
> Python Module, without depending on Zope being installed.

As someone else at DC, I can speak for two issues.  I don't think we'd
be opposed to separate distributions of ZODB/ZEO, this has always been
kept as clean as possible, but there are some dependencies (like
ZServer for doing the Client/Server piece).  As for license,
well... it's our license, which is Open Source, but I don't know how
that will fly with the GPL-nazis.  My time at the FSF (many many years
ago) leads me to believe it'd not go over well, and would make this
all a non-starter.

As for a DB-API interface, that would pretty well negate using ZODB,
since DB-API is aimed at ractangular data, not rich objects.  You
would need to create an abstraction layer much higher than that. More
like an O-R mapping (a'la EOF, or whatever).

Chris