Re[2]: [Mailman-Developers] ZODB and ZEO for mailman

John Morton mailman-developers@python.org
Wed, 21 Jun 2000 16:35:39 +1200 (NZST)

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 00:18:28 -0400 (EDT) you wrote:

 > On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:
 >=20
 > > Should Mailman gain a database abstraction which allows ZODB or a
 > > variety of SQL databases to be plugged in underneath, everybody wins
 >=20
 > Just for the same of completeness and/or if you missed it in my reply to
 > Chuq, I totally agree with this. Given such an abstraction, they who
 > wanted Zope integration can go about getting it done, which may just be =
me
 > 'n' Ken for all I know. ;-)
=20
Sounds great to me. In fact I think that, with a bit of negotiation with
DC, the ZODB part of Zope could be distributed as a separate library with
appropriate license terms so that Mailman can use it as Just Another
Python Module, without depending on Zope being installed.=20

At the other end of the program, a similar API for the web interface stuff
would be enormously useful. I'd like to implement a Mailman interface with
Zope, and I'm sure other people would like to use PHP/mod_perl/Cold
Fusion/ASP and so forth.

 > ObMakeOrBuy: Should this hypothetical DB abstraction just be the DB-API,
 > leaving zope enthusiasts to start a side project, namely "get a DB-API
 > interface to the ZODB" ? There's some pretty big "up" sides to that
 > approach. =3D)

As Mailman will still have to have a 'native' data store, setting up the
API to be a collection of functions that fetch data from storage and place
them into python structures of one form or another seams to be the best
bet.=20

John
(Long time lurker, first time poster).