[Mailman-Developers] ZODB and ZEO for mailman

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:19:02 -0700

At 7:32 PM -0400 6/20/2000, Jim Hebert wrote:

>Ken, thanks for brining this up! I too have been sitting here thinking
>about how Zope stuff could really be beneficial to Mailman

very, very intriguing. Looks like almost a gut job rewrite, though --
it seems to me we're talking about an "Apache 2.0" class job, so not
only isn't this Mailman 2.0, it's unclear if it's Mailman 2.x --
perhaps mailman 3.0? But -- it looks really interesting. It sure
ought to be investigated.

>too. I run zope and mailman one several machines for work and play and
>would love to see them working even better together. Getting list data
>into the Zope db puts mailman within striking distance of resting other
>things on zope's shoulders, such as the web interface (one which can then
>look like the rest of the web site), a pipermail successor, etc.

Me, I've been mulling over a couple of things -- one being a hotmail
clone type of system, another being an egroups clone type of system.
I'm thinking, at first glance, that if you do a Zope integration,
when you come out the other side, you don't have Mailman any more,
but instead you have an egroups clone instead. And it may well be
that you need (or want) both, although not at the same time. not all
Mailman users are going to want, need, or be able to use the whole
zope world -- let's not forget that Mailman lives in a lot of places
where you don't have a dedicated machine. Not everyone can get a Zope
environment installed on them. So perhaps something this significant
is its own universe, not Mailman -- and Mailman continues forward in
parallel, serving different needs?

In fact, with a little thinking, you can build a system that is a
hotmail clone, an egroups clone, and handles mailman's functionality,
all together. A little thinking (hah!) and a lot of work...

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"