[Mailman-Developers] ZODB and ZEO for mailman

Jim Hebert jim@cosource.com
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 19:32:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Ken Manheimer wrote:

[awesome stuff snipped]

Ken, thanks for brining this up! I too have been sitting here thinking
about how Zope stuff could really be beneficial to Mailman (I was esp.
thinking this during the recent discussion of the need for a pipermail
successor). But I figured I was too green to be so impetuous. =)

To some, making mailman depend on peices of zope might be ornerous, but to
me it's a better call than hooking it directly up to something like
postgres (which I've heard batted around) and gets you a whole lot more,
too. I run zope and mailman one several machines for work and play and
would love to see them working even better together. Getting list data
into the Zope db puts mailman within striking distance of resting other
things on zope's shoulders, such as the web interface (one which can then
look like the rest of the web site), a pipermail successor, etc.

While your suggestions obviously aren't something that can be talked about
for 2.0 (ever notice how many great ideas come out right before you issue
a release candidate for something? :->), I'd love to know what the take is
on this for some future major release from the current Mailman gods? And,
more importantly, how can we help make it happen?

jim

--
Jim Hebert                                       http://www.cosource.com/
jim@cosource.com          The cooperative market for open source software

"Well actually I was considering opening a market in flying pigs. Mostly
because it would be more practical...." -- Alan Cox