[Mailman-Developers] Huge lists

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk
Sun, 04 Jun 2000 20:39:23 +0100

There is a problem that its hard to come up with metrics for best large
recipient list delivery that work across a range of MTAs.

My own feeling (experience based feeling, but I haven't specifically
sat down and benchmarked/analysed its behaviour) for exim is that I
would tend to have a maximum number of recipients for a single SMTP
transaction of ~500 recipients.  I would tend to keep simultaneous
injects down to around 4 at a time... although this has even less basis
that the 500 recipients limit.  Exim will take advantage of multiple
recipients on the same MX, but you can basically assume it will not
take advantage of multiple queued messages going to the same MX (except
under particular circumstances).  Hence I would in general do the
sort/clump by reversed domain name thing since that should win in many
cases.

bwarsaw@python.org said:
> So with the next check-in, the chunking algorithm is to create 4
> buckets: .com, .net/.org, .edu/.us/.ca, everything-else.  Chunks in
> these buckets are no bigger than SMTP_MAX_RCPTS and buckets are not
> back-filled.

Thats a very parochial view of the world (he says tongue firmly in
cheek).  Us UK based people would probably find a different balance
would work better for us :-)

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk ]