[Mailman-Developers] Huge lists

bwarsaw@python.org bwarsaw@python.org
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 00:31:26 -0400 (EDT)

    >> This is very interesting.  I've just added some code to
    >> SMTPDirect.py to support multiple MTA drop-off threads.  I
    >> actually see worse performance with this code, which either
    >> means I screwed up the implementation or Something Else Is
    >> Going On.

    CVR> Are you talking about performance loading into the MTA? Or
    CVR> delivery?

    CVR> I'll bet one thing in the Something Else category is disk
    CVR> I/O. That's what usually nukes MTA's first (and foremost).

Yes.  I didn't even mention the times I was getting before shutting
off syslogd for mail.* -- it was much worse.  But the times I quoted
are (AFAICT) just the I/O that Postfix does.  Mailman isn't doing any
different I/O for threaded delivery than for sequential delivery.

    CVR> I really, really need to sit down and beat postfix into a
    CVR> pulp.

Ooo, can I watch? :)

    CVR> But I've got four sites to ship before I can (two of them
    CVR> based on mailman). I'm typing as fast as I can... but I
    CVR> really want to get a handle on postfix....

Cool.

    >> So I think I will keep the code, but disable it by default and
    >> let you guys play with it.

    CVR> Very fair. It's nice the hooks are there, and IMHO, figuring
    CVR> out how to use it properly, tune is and all of that stuff
    CVR> sounds like a perfect reason for a 2.1 release. I sure
    CVR> wouldn't hold up other parts of 2.0 for this...

    >> Eventually we'll need to separate out the entire hand-off
    >> process from the main process, but that's not currently
    >> feasible.  I think this is the best I can do for 2.0.

    CVR> I think this is a great start, and I agree -- there's enough
    CVR> going on with 2.0 that we don't want to wait for this to
    CVR> release it. It'll give us time to sit down and research the
    CVR> beast in different environments more, too.

That's a plan then.  I have one more thing I want to play with for
SMTPDirect.py and then that should be it.  Guido's getting married
this weekend so I'll be mostly off-line.  Figure 2.0b3 early next week
and then fast track toward 2.0 final.  I'm ready to move on.

Cheers,
-Barry