[Mailman-Developers] Huge lists

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui@plaidworks.com
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 17:18:34 -0700

At 4:38 PM -0400 6/2/2000, bwarsaw@python.org wrote:

>This is very interesting.  I've just added some code to SMTPDirect.py
>to support multiple MTA drop-off threads.  I actually see worse
>performance with this code, which either means I screwed up the
>implementation or Something Else Is Going On.

Are you talking about performance loading into the MTA? Or delivery?

I'll bet one thing in the Something Else category is disk I/O. That's
what usually nukes MTA's first (and foremost).

>the socket, so I dunno.  And maybe based on what Chuq says above, the
>threading approach would work better for Sendmail than for Postfix.

I really, really need to sit down and beat postfix into a pulp. But
I've got four sites to ship before I can (two of them based on
mailman). I'm typing as fast as I can... but I really want to get a
handle on postfix....

>So I think I will keep the code, but disable it by default and let you
>guys play with it.

Very fair. It's nice the hooks are there, and IMHO, figuring out how
to use it properly, tune is and all of that stuff sounds like a
perfect reason for a 2.1 release. I sure wouldn't hold up other parts
of 2.0 for this...

>Eventually we'll need to separate out the entire hand-off process from
>the main process, but that's not currently feasible.  I think this is
>the best I can do for 2.0.

I think this is a great start, and I agree -- there's enough going on
with 2.0 that we don't want to wait for this to release it. It'll
give us time to sit down and research the beast in different
environments more, too.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"