[Mailman-Developers] TODO: Search engine for archives

The Doctor What docwhat@gerf.org
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 06:37:59 -0800

* J C Lawrence (claw@cp.net) [000106 18:12]:
> On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 15:58:34 -0800 (PST)
> Garth Corral <garthc@abode.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm willing to take a crack at adding search functionality to the
> > internal archiver if nobody else is already working on it.  I'm
> > willing to lend a hand if someone is working on it.
>
> IIRC Pipermail is orphaned code.  Its relatively minimal, the author
> has abandoned it, and nothing has been done with it for years.
>
> My own recommendation here is to NOT put search code into Pipermail
> or MailMan, but instead to add functioality so that custom HTML may
> be put into the various archive web pages.  That HTML could then
> reference whatever search engine is installed at the local site (I
> use UdmSearch, other HT:DIG etc).

I had posted a message saying that I was willing (and am planning)
on taking a stab at adding some example pages for adding search
functionality.  However, I am having a hard time locating where the
"<MM-foo>" HTML tags are pre-interpreted.  If someone would point me
in the direction, I have an example 90% done and will even produce
documentation!

And, I'd be more than happy to work with you, Garth.

Ciao!

--
Any given program, when running, is obsolete.

The Doctor What: Need I say more?                http://docwhat.gerf.org/
docwhat@gerf.org                    (finger docwhat@gerf.org for PGP key)
KF6VNC