[Mailman-Developers] TODO: Search engine for archives

Dan Ohnesorg dan@feld.cvut.cz
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 10:20:13 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     GC> I'm willing to take a crack at adding search functionality to
>     GC> the internal archiver if nobody else is already working on it.
>     GC> I'm willing to lend a hand if someone is working on it.
>
> That would be very cool!

It would be very bad. You can see it on the included pipermail. It is not
in sync with main developed version, slows down mailman, has bugs wich are
in original version solved. I generally dont use included pipermail
anymore.

Mailman is best listserv software, but not best archiver. In compare with
MHonArc is extremly poor.

If you will add more code like this, you will run into troubles. There are
fenomenal searchers, like htdig, glimpse, which are fast developed. There
is one new version in one months. You will never have the time to
sychnronize all the changes in mailman.

If you will use extrenal searching tool, the way is very simple, you can
only patch the mailman to generate the archives using external templates
and then you can include in this templates input forms for searching in
archives. It is simple and fast.

But I think, when pipermail will be removed from mailman, it will
stabilize the product very mutch. In default configuration can be included
external archiver command.

cheers
dan

DDDDDD
DD   DD                Dan Ohnesorg, supervisor on POWER
DD  OOOO               Dan@feld.cvut.cz
DD OODDOO              Dep. of Power Engineering
DDDDDD OO              CTU FEL Prague, Bohemia
   OO  OO              work: +420 2 24352785;+420 2 24972109
    OOOO               home: +420 311 679679;+420 311 679311

Dopisoval bych si rad s divkou.
  Zn. Negramotnost neni na zavadu.