[Mailman-Developers] TODO: Search engine for archives

Garth Corral garthc@abode.com
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 00:49:20 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> Let me know if you plan to hack the code; I can send you the FSF forms
> that will be required.

I am planning to hack the code but there seems to be at least one person
that doesn't think that this is a good idea.  You can go ahead and send
me the FSF forms but I'd be curious to hear what others think about this.

If there is a concensus that effort in this area should focus providing
an interface to external search tools, I think that it would probably be
best left to other individuals.  I would be happy to discuss the pros and
cons of the various alternatives.

My inclination would be to provide some indexing and search mechanism
within the existing framework.  There are several reasons for this, not
the least of which is that it fits well with my motivation for doing this
in the first place.

> -Barry

Garth