[Mailman-Developers] mail/news gateway

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 09:41:28 +0000

claw@kanga.nu said:
> I potentially have the same problem -- the system occassionally gets
> very high load spikes, NOT due to MailMan, and Exim is configured to
> refuse connections when load gets too high.

A solution to this is to add your mailman host (which would typically
be 127.0.0.1) into smtp_reserve_hosts and then set the related
parameters such as smtp_accept_reserve, smtp_load_reserve and the
various *_load* options so that incoming SMTP is always accepted from
mailman (although the messages may be queued rather than immediately
delivered).

The upside of this is that it puts less load on the system than
additional invocations of exim from the command line, and all your load
policy is pretty much in one place.  Whichever method you use there may
still be errors caused due to (for example) running out of spool space.

[I'll try and work out a reasonable note on this for the mailman/exim
howto information - alternatively I would just *love* it if someone
would come up with some text for me :-) ]
	http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman.html

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk ]