[Mailman-Developers] mail/news gateway

Gergely Madarasz gorgo@sztaki.hu
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:46:26 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us wrote:

>     GM> But it happened quite often that mailman couldn't connect to
>     GM> port 25 because sendmail wasn't accepting connections due to
>     GM> high load (loads above 25 are usual on this machine...), so
>     GM> queueing was needed anyway...
>
> One possible solution is to use a better MTA (i.e. not sendmail).

Sorry, but I can't accept this answer :) It seems quite normal for _any_
MTA to refuse connections when the load is high (protect the machine from
even higher loads), and it is quite normal for machines to have high
load... you don't want to say "don't use mailman on machines wich have
load above 5", do you ? :) I use it, and it works nicely :)

> Also, it's very possible that all that extra load was /caused/ by
> Mailman 1.1's queuing system.

Well... at least it took part of it. I'm really looking forward to the
1.2 release to test the performance :)

> Some form of queuing may still be necessary, but the previous
> implementation did not work.  I don't have time to implement a new
> system myself but if someone wants to work on it, let me know.

I don't really see the need of a new smtp queueing system if there is the
possibility of executing the MTA directly, so I'm not asking anyone to do
it now :) I'm just saying that queueing was _needed_ before, and it
_worked_ (I was one of those who requested this feature when 1.0b4 lost
almost all my digests, because of the high load early morning :))
So there is no problem now :)

And at the beginning of this thread I just warned that the same might be
needed for the nntp server too, I didn't want to go into the smtp stuff
now :)

--
Madarasz Gergely           gorgo@sztaki.hu           gorgo@linux.rulez.org
                   HuLUG: http://mlf.linux.rulez.org/