[Mailman-Developers] unsubscriptions requiring approval

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:31:14 +0100

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 07:13:03PM +0100, Harald Meland wrote:

> > So instead I hacked the same behaviour into mailman -- include a
> > seperate file. Not intended for general use, which is why I didn't
> > post it here, and it has _no_ security, but it works ;)
>
> Random thought: Would it be a good idea to add

>  <INPUT TYPE="file" NAME="posters_file" VALUE="filename" SIZE=50 MAXLENGTH=80>

> type thingies for some of the text boxes which have to take rather
> large amounts of text, or would it just clutter things?

I'm not sure. It might certainly be a good idea, even though in my case it
wouldn't help (the problem was not the initial insertion, but rather keeping
multiple lists in sync.) Clutterage is a problem in general, i think.
Perhaps, if we want to give every textbox an upload field, a simple button
next to the input field would suffice -- a button that would pop up a new
window.

(It might be even worth it to take a look at a frames interface, possibly ?)

> > regarding patch: you need to do 'patch -p0'.

> Hmmmm, I already knew about -p0, and had tried that, but I get this
> (when standing in the toplevel Mailman directory, i.e. the one
> containing INSTALL etc.):
>
>   octarine$ patch -p0 --dry-run < ~/mailman-unsub-approval.diff
>   can't find file to patch at input line 9
>   Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
>   The text leading up to this was:
>   --------------------------
>   |? templates/unsubauth.txt
>   |Index: Mailman/Bouncer.py

> etc.  Thus my suspicion that patch isn't recognizing the Index: stuff,
> which I believe was put there by CVS.  This is with GNU patch 2.5.

Ok, found it. It's a bug in patch, or in patch's manpage:

	If there is an Index: line in the leading garbage and if either the
	old and new names are both absent or the POSIXLY_CORRECT environment
	variable is set, patch takes the name in the Index: line.

Apparently, patch doesn't work like this; even if both the old and the new
name are absent, it refuses to regard the Index line. I found a patch to
patch that added a '--use-index-line' option, but it doesn't seem to be
added to patch 2.5 yet. As a workaround, you can set the 'POSIXLY_CORRECT'
environment variable. It works, I just tested it with this very same
boutique. Err, patch. The only problem with that is that this makes patch
behave completely posix-compliant:

	POSIXLY_CORRECT
	If set, patch conforms more strictly to the POSIX standard: it takes
	the first existing file from the list (old, new, index) when
	intuiting file names from diff headers, it does not remove files
	that are empty after patching, it does not ask whether to get files
	from RCS or SCCS, it requires that all options precede the files in
	the command line, and it does not backup files when there is a
	mismatch.

I'll try to keep this in mind when sending patches, noting added/removed
files, and keeping an eye on situations where both 'file.py' and
'foo/bar/file.py' exist. ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>