[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] listmembers being "(ignored)", lockfile problems, 2.0b5

Brett Dikeman brett@iclick.com
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 03:32:18 -0400

Thanks to all who replied.

The problem was in fact the SMTP agent.  We have, on this particular
host, a "messy" mail server setup; actual inbound SMTP is handled by
something called Trend Interscan(which actually works really well,
shameless plug for them*.)  Trend then does Some Magic(mainly,
decompresses/decodes any attachments, checks for viruses, that sort
of thing) and hands off messages to sendmail(or, say, postfix; you
can set the command Trend uses, or give it a hostname/port, etc.)

Trend apparently got very upset when I removed some older definitions
files(or I accidentally deleted something else it needed) and was
doing strange things, like opening the connection but not responding,
or closing it immediately, etc.

I mucked around with it unsuccessfully for a few hours, gave up, and
just fired up plain old sendmail into daemon mode and left trend off.
Worked great; we're not protected against a virus getting sent to the
list at the moment, but at least things will work until I straighten
out the mess with Trend support in the morning.)

qrunner did its job and shortly thereafter I received email from a
bunch of users saying they now had a digest in their mailbox.  Still
not sure that everyone is working yet; have to check up with those
who reported problems and see if they're 'alive' again.

No more strange log entries, except for some business about
quattro-admin sending mail to the list, and a lot of messages to 1
recipient, which seemed like mailman zapping bounce messages to me,
and naturally reporting it in the SMTP logs.

If problems crop up, you know I'll be back :-)

Brett
*this thing saved our butts at work so many times it isn't funny.  I
strongly recommend antivirus solutions for lists and companies.
Where I work, it's a literal challenge to find a floppy since they're
practically never used, which means most infections come in over
email.  On our list, it's caught at least 20 viruses in a few months.
--
----
Brett Dikeman				Systems Engineer