[Mailman-Developers] Database API

Andy Lowe ajlowe@leo.gov
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 16:03:57 -0400

--------------0283E4FACABE8798B84D7F1E

OK, assuming we have a working draft for the database API, how do we go
about developing this?  I see this project seriously breaking mailman
for a while until everything gets synced up.  Do we want to create a
separate branch in CVS?  Or do we want to just put it on an ftp site I
can provide.  The only problem with CVS is that I am behind a very
restrictive firewall and can basically only get http/https/ftp  access
to the internet, so I would prefer to use ftp, or http enabled CVS.
Does SourceForge allow you to checkout via https?  I don't think so.
    Ricardo an I are interested in coding this project, how about anyone
else?  I have already started working on the oracle module, and I am
guessing that Ricardo will want to do MySQL and or MS-SQL .  I think the
other parts necessary include changing the current mailman code to fit
the API and breaking the Marshal code out of the current Mailman code.
Perhaps the 'changing the mailman' aspect could be broken down further
into changing each of the current modules like Maillist etc. . .  It
appears to me that we are ready to break off into a smaller developers
group and start cranking out some code.  What I don't know is whether
normal mailman development will continue and or how we should integrate
the API enhanced version of Mailman back into the normal development
once complete.  Any suggestions?
A.
 L.

--------------0283E4FACABE8798B84D7F1E