[Mailman-Developers] features I would like to see

Brian Edmonds brian@gweep.bc.ca
25 Apr 2000 10:13:42 -0700

Right, more features I'd like. :)

1. A bounced status, in addition to nomail.  On my Majordomo install I
   have a list called bounces, and a script to automagically unsub
   people from a list and resub them to bounces.  Every address on the
   bounces list gets a daily reminder that they have been unsubscribed
   due to mail bouncing.

   In addition we would then need a new cron job to mail all addresses
   set to bounced status with a notice, and to automatically dun out any
   addresses that have remained as bounced for a period that is
   configurable on a per-list basis.  Then it could also be added as an
   option to the auto bounce handling to have addresses switched to
   bounced instead of just disabled.

2. I've also modified my bounce script to by default switch users from
   the main list to the digest first, if one exists.  This would also be
   a nice option for bouncing mail, so that users with shorter term
   problems, such as quota, could get for example five days grace, then
   bounced to the digest for a further five days, then set to bounced
   state for a week then unsubscribed.  Moving them to digest state can
   keep them on the list but reduce server load for busy lists.

3. When handling submissions that are held for admin approval it would
   be handy to have another option to MIME encapsulate the message and
   mail it to the list admin.  That way I could make simple formatting
   changes or add admin comments to the occasional message and remail it
   myself instead of simply having to reject it.

4. Are the web pages setting no-cache appropriately?  It could just be a
   bad interaction with my proxy or Netscape cache settings, but the
   admin pages are being cached which means I have to hit reload quite
   often to make sure I'm getting the latest list settings, or I end up
   submitting old data.  Having the archives be cacheable makes sense,
   and people can reload as needed, but the admin and subscriber config
   pages should definitely be no-cache.

I hope this sparks some discussion, and some creative juices in the
developers. :)  I'd start submitting patches of my own, but I'm a perl
programmer, not python, so I've got a bit of a learning curve to get
over first.

Brian.