[Mailman-Developers] New MTA interface in mailman 2.0b

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:15:13 +0100

    NM>  2. I'm concerned the patch above might do bad things when it
    NM> comes to sending out list reminders :-)

    BW> Password reminders are sent through DeliverToUser.  You can
actually
    BW> force a mass password reminder mailing by running

Let me explain further....

The sendmail command is given by
	cmd = mm_cfg.SENDMAIL_CMD + ' -f ' + mlist.GetAdminEmail() + ' '

So the sender is set to be the list admin address.
However when sending passwords out presumably there isn't a single list
thats being dealt with - so will that mlist.GetAdminEmail() work
correctly?

[Unfortunately I still find reading python a significant chore and its
taking time to get up to speed on being able to answer this stuff
myself :-( ]

> I definitely recommend people use SMTPDirect.py instead, especially
> after the qrunner additions in 2.0beta2.

I had missed the implications of that change - I definitely agree that
SMTP injection looks like a win here, so I'll reconfigure my box back.

> One module that all messages pass through is CookHeaders

This looks like a change... the admin messages have had more header
processing done on them.  As I said before, its not actually a problem,
just a change that caught me out slightly (some admin mail was being
misrecognised by my procmail as list mail so ended up in the wrong
bucket - I will take a cluebat to my procmailrc :-) ).

The other advantage to moving to SMTPDirect as a delivery scheme is
that my exim HOWTO works unchanged :-)

	Nigel.
[ Nigel Metheringham                  Nigel.Metheringham@VData.co.uk ]