[Mailman-Developers] [ANNOUNCE] Mailman 2.0 beta 2

Thomas Wouters thomas@xs4all.net
Sun, 9 Apr 2000 00:31:04 +0200

On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 05:54:44PM -0400, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

> Barring any showstopping bugs, this will be the last release until I
> finish my taxes. :)

There's one bug that would really like to be squashed before 2.0, I think:
the 'from ' line in the downloadable mailbox (the stripped version of the
pipermail archive mailbox) that carries the wrong date format. I posted a
patch a week ago or so, so that the downloadable mailboxes are at least
usable. The only possible problem is that ctime() might generate different
output on different locales, but I dont think so, and the manpage for
ctime() on Linux and BSDI dont mention it. Drop me a line if I need to
repost it. (Btw, should I post this bug to the jitterbug page, even if I
have a patch for it ?)

There are some other problems with the mailboxes, for instance that in
squashing the headers, the references line gets squashed too, but I'll save
those for later ;)

I also have a few changes locally, that might be included later (if
desirable, of course): partial rewrite of hyperarch/pipermail, actually losing the
latter (no functional changes, but a lot less hairy code, if I say so
myself), unsubscription-approval, like subscription (posted a buggy version
before) and some hacks to allow members of one list to post to another,
moderated list they are not members of.

I'm also pondering making members of a list that are themselves lists, a
special case, to skip the password-sending, allow posting, dont screw the
subject line too much, etc. (Those things would solve a lot of the minor
annoyances in some of our lists.) But all that might be a lot easier if that
'real user database' gets included ;)

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas@xs4all.net>