[Mailman-Developers] User list in mysql

Ricardo Kustner ricardo@rixhq.nu
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 08:28:08 +0200

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 06:25:18PM -0700, Dan Chen wrote:
> I've taken a look at MailList.py and understand that the subscriber list and
> all other data is stored as a marshal in config.db.  And this is stored in
> the methods Load and Save.
> I'm proposing that when Save is called, it also makes changes to the mysql
> db.  And after a Load, it queries the db.  This sounds very expensive, and

yes I'd love to see mailman support mysql too...but I think the best thing
to do is moving the userlist to a seperate marshal db and abstracting the
access code to make it easy to replace it with your own favorite sql server.
from what i've seen in the mailman code is that there have to be made a lot
of changes to support something like this... so maybe we'll have to wait till
2.0 gets released and work on it from there.

in short, these are my thoughts on how this could be handled:
1) rewrite mailman to modify/read the user list through single function calls
2) create a module with those functions
3) create a module that is used to write the userlist to a marshal db
4) create a module to write the userlist to a mysql db
5) create a module to write the userlist to ... etc

Ricardo.