[Mailman-Developers] broken mbox?

Corbett J. Klempay cklempay@chimera.acm.jhu.edu
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:59:35 -0400 (EDT)

I'm writing here instead of to a general Python list because I'm not sure;
the problem may lie with Mailman (not sure).  I'm working on a script that
reads through a given mbox file from the archives/private subtree and does
fun things with it (like index the words, for example :)  I am using the
UnixMailbox class from the mailbox module.  The problem is that having the
mailbox module give me the message body (like mailboxobj.fp.read()) gives
me the message body, just like it's supposed to...*and* part of the first
line of the header of the next message.  For example, getting the body on
the first message in one of my archives gives:

--start---
Mailman 1.0b6 is up and running now...and archiving is in too!  The
archiving wasn't turned on for this list previously, but it was for some
other lists (so it just accumulated the messages in a file, but there was
no real archiving -- the real archiver uses a btree -- and no way to view
them in a threaded format or whatever).  If you want to see what it looks
like, view the HOBY list archive (its archiving has been on for
months)...link to it from www2.acm.jhu.edu/mailman/listinfo/hoby

Corbett J. Klempay                               Quote of the Week:
http://www2.acm.jhu.edu/~cklempay  "Conscience is the inner voice that
                                    warns up that someone may be looking."

PGP Fingerprint: 7DA2 DB6E 7F5E 8973 A8E7  347B 2429 7728 76C2 BEA1

From acm-admin@chi

---end---

(note: the start and end are added in by the script of course...but so you
can see the spacing and then the start of the next header).  I don't know
if this is due to Mailman writing the mbox files screwily (or maybe used
to write them screwily; this particular message was dated 11/7/98), or if
the mailbox module has a bug of sorts.  Anyone seen this / know what's
going on?

---
Corbett J. Klempay
Trilogy Software, Inc.