[Mailman-Developers] Mailman archive and MIME

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
21 Jan 1999 13:13:18 +0100

[Balazs Nagy]

> On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Tomas Fasth wrote:
>
> > Hi.
>
> > Are there anyone on this list currently working on a MIME fix for mailman
> > pipermail archiving? It currently (1.0b8) lack even the simplest MIME
> > support, as far as I understand. If you browse a pipermail archive any
>
> Not just the pipermail archiving lacks any mail support but admindb
> too.

I think that's a separate issue -- you're talking about quoting
special HTML characters.  Which, of course, should be done -- but it
hasn't got anything to do with MIME.

> > MIME composed messages appears right out ugly and sometimes unreadable (a
> > matter of skill of course).

I haven't tried this, but wouldn't simply squeezing the mail text
through the .unmimify() method of the `mimify' standard Python module
before formatting it into HTML work (for the QP/base64 MIME issue,
multipart messages is a whole other can of worms)?

Is there a problem with what headers are retained in the mbox-format
version of the archive (i.e. are the headers needed for proper MIME
decoding stripped from the archive)?

--
Harald