[Mailman-Developers] Upgrade from 1.0b4 -> 1.0b7 fails

Wayne Knowles w.knowles@niwa.cri.nz
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 15:56:25 +1300 (NZDT)

I have been running Mailman version 1.0b4 for a while, and decided it was
about time to upgrade to the latest version.   Everything went well until
the point of running the "make update" script then got the following
error:

*****
***** If you are installing over an old installation, please
***** run "make update".  See the UPGRADING file for details.
*****
katipo 130% make update
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "bin/update", line 10, in ?
    from Mailman.MailList import MailList
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 30, in ?
    import Utils
  File "/home/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 509, in ?
    def chunkify(members, chunksize=mm_cfg.DEFAULT_ADMIN_MEMBER_CHUNKSIZE):
AttributeError: DEFAULT_ADMIN_MEMBER_CHUNKSIZE

DEFAULT_ADMIN_MEMBER_CHUNKSIZE was not defined in my old mm_cfg.py file,
and the mm_cfg.py wasn't installed overtop, but as mm_cfg.py.dist
Since the site config is standard I copied across mm_cfg.py.dist into
mm_cfg.py and make update completed.

The Python version isn't quite kosher, but I don't think it matters:

Python 1.5.2a2 (#5, Dec 15 1998, 13:16:57)  [GCC 2.7.2.1] on freebsd2

Did I install 1.0b4 incorrectly, or does the update script need to be
fixed to work around the problem?

BTW - The known problem building under FreeBSD using BSD Make appears to
      be fixed (have tested on FreeSBD 2.2.5 and 3.0-current).  I no
      longer need GNU Make or hack the Makefile by hand.

Wayne
--
  _____	   	Wayne Knowles,  Systems Manager
 / o   \/   	National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Ltd