[Mailman-Developers] Developers Needed for addition of specific feature(s)

Bill Bumgarner bbum@codefab.com
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 17:54:24 -0500

I'm looking for some Python/MailMan savvy developers to add some features to
MailMan.  In particular, we [CodeFab] have a need-- both internally and on a
client project-- to augment MailMan such that it can gracefully handle
attachments.   In particular:

- decode MIME (and other formats?) encoded messages upon receipt

- file attachments into archive via either the current archive scheme or via
WebDAV (WebDAV preferred)

- rewrite message such that it contains URLs to the attachements instead of
the attachments themselves

The overriding goal of this is to solve the above problems in an extremely
timely manner and provide all resulting modifications/extensions to MailMan
back to the MailMan development community in such a fashion that it can be
integrated into future releases.  However, we are under a severe time crunch
and, as such, it is likely that what we need done and what needs to be done to
integrate this into the next release will not be in complete parity-- which is
another reason why I would really like to bring a focused MailMan/Python
developer into this project to ensure that the short term work will feed
directly into a long term, viable integration of this solution into MailMan.

The code is not just for CodeFab's benefit-- we have a client that also needs
this solution.  This client is also interested in helping fund this development
effort.  The funds are limited and the client [and CodeFab] would both like to
be able to further leverage this by generating some positive "we support open
source projects & MailMan/Python is really cool" PR-- so we would like to work
with a developer or developers that are amicable to having their name thrown
into a press release and wouldn't mind signing the standard NDA/contracting
style agreements.

Let me reiterate-- regardless of contractual agreements necessary to move this
forward-- all code developed under this arrangement will be under the GPL.

Regardless of whether or not we can find someone to formally assist us, this
work has to get done anyway.  I would rather see it done with formal assistance
from the MailMan development community...  If we can't find someone to help
from the community, then consider this message a request for comments as to how
to best implement the above features and I guess I'll have to go read the
"hacking MailMan" HOWTO.  :-)

thanks,
b.bum