[Mailman-Developers] why not make archive into coference

Christopher Lindsey lindsey@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 01:15:05 -0500 (CDT)

> My point is this - if it were possible for subscribers
> to use a web form to post to archives (as well as the
> usual email method) it would be nice.  Users could then
> choose to use a service as a conference or via email.

This is pretty easy to do, and I think outside of the scope of
Mailman.

Just set the list subscription so that it only archives,
then restrict posting to a single known (non-obvious)
address.

The Web form would then call a CGI script which would
provide the correct headers to a local sendmail invocation,
or connect to a remote system on port 25 and jump through
the proper ESMTP hoops.

The mail should be sent to look as if it's coming from the
allowed address, so it will go through the system checks and
be archived.

What I would really like to see in addition to sender-based
authentication is some sort of "if this header matches send it
through" type scenario.  Majordomo uses an 'Approved: password'
header -- implementing something similar could allow Web-based
forms to post, etc.  NOTE: password wouldn't have to be the
list password -- it could be anything.  Mailman should also
have the option of stripping it out before sending the message
through.

Imagine any of these possibilties!

   Date:.*\sAug\s1999           # allow anyone to post before the contest
                                  ends