[Mailman-Developers] why not make archive into coference

Andy Heath a.k.heath@shu.ac.uk
Mon, 09 Aug 1999 20:26:33 +0000

Sorry if this has been asked/suggested before but I can
find no trace of it in the archives.

My point is this - if it were possible for subscribers
to use a web form to post to archives (as well as the
usual email method) it would be nice.  Users could then
choose to use a service as a conference or via email.

For myself, there are times when I like to receive
everything by email so I don't miss anything and
times things are busy enough that I would prefer
the conference idea.  Often I want to switch
from one to the other depending on how busy things are.

The point about doing this with the archives is that this
functionality is almost there already - it just needs
a way of "on-server" posting to be developed.  Since this
could be limited to subscribers and can only go to the list
then it is safe.

There are other products that do this sort of thing - I
think bscw does, but non so "clean" and simple to use
as mailman.
Also, the same thing *could* be done with gating to
newsgroups but doing so involves much unneccessary
complexity.

Why has no-one combined the list-server and conference
functions before (rhetorical).

Please COPY replies to
a.k.heath@shu.ac.uk
as I'm not a subscriber