[Mailman-Developers] An NT Mailman version

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
09 Aug 1999 19:05:05 +0200

[Tom Funk]

> Is the locking and forking code only the archiving parts of the code?

No.

> Or is it spread throughout the source?

Yes.  "grep -w" the source for (at least) "fork" and "posixfile" to
get a quick overview of exactly where.

> Has anyone considered porting the forking code to Python threads?

The only time I can recall having heard of python threads, was when
someone said that using threaded python should be _optional_ even if
Mailman started supporting this.

I think this was in relation to a discussion of whether Mailman should
implement it's own listening SMTP server or aim to interface (i.e. use
alias files) for all kinds of other MTAs.  I don't know if anything at
all came of the discussion, but the general scepticism towards
trusting a threaded python implementation probably hasn't quite
disappeared yet.

> I've not worked with them, but the impression I get is that for the
> O/S's that support them, they tend to be pretty non-os-specific.
> 'Course I may be wrong on this....

I wouldn't know, as I'm not a python guru by far.

> I'd consider working on an NT port.

I think that would be nice (even though for my own uses it doesn't
matter) -- but I know nothing about cross-platform python and what
kind of code hoops such a port would make Mailman.

> It's a *great* way to learn all kinds of things about a software
> package - and the implementation language.

That's the motivation that got me started as well, so I can confirm
that :)