[Mailman-Developers] Configurable Archiving Proposal

Paul Hebble hebble@ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu, 5 Aug 1999 09:27:42 -0500 (CDT)

On 5 Aug 1999, Harald Meland wrote:

> [Paul Hebble]
>
> > I want to set up Mailman to support other archiving methods, more cleanly
> > than subscribing a procmailrc to a list.  I know a few other people are
> > interested in this as well.
> >
> > I would like to add a per-list configuration option to each list's
> > config.db which tells Mailman a command line to run to archive a
> > message.
>
> If you're looking for a quick hack to fix this (as opposed to a clean
> solution), I think this is yet another thing the per-list "filter
> script" could be (ab)used to do.  Just have the filter make two copies
> to stdin, and send one to stdout (for the rest of Mailman to enjoy it)
> and one to your archiver pipe.

This solution does not do what we want.  It would either put unapproved
posts in the archive, or require duplication of Mailman's filtering
mechanisms in each per-list filter.

We're looking for a clean solution.  I posted a patch yesterday.  It
transparently replaces Pipermail if the site admin sets a variable to
point to a new archiver.

--
	Paul