[Mailman-Developers] tempfile bug or doc bug

Scott scott@chronis.pobox.com
Tue, 13 Oct 1998 20:27:28 -0400

the docs to tempfile state that:

Warning: if a Unix process uses mktemp(), then calls fork() and both
parent and child continue to use mktemp(), the processes will generate
conflicting temporary names.  To resolve this, the child process
should assign None to template, to force recomputing the default on
the next call to mktemp().

So I have a unix process (part of mailman) that forks, and can fork
quite a bit,  the parent process *never* calls mktemp, but the child
processes all do, and i have darn good evidence of generation of
duplicate file names by mktemp() under these circumstances.

i suggest that we either fix the docs to mktemp to include this
circumstance as an exception or make mktemp() not generate duplicates
under these circumstances.

scott