[Mailman-developers] Next Release

W T Hewitt w.t.hewitt@mcc.ac.uk
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 00:42:48 +0000

On Tuesday, March 24, 1998 4:46 PM, Ken Manheimer
[SMTP:klm@cnri.reston.va.us] wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, W T Hewitt wrote:
>
> > I got the latest versions of mailman from ftp.python.org:
> >
> > klm.p1
> > mailman-1.0b1.tar.gz
> >
> > unpacked. When I tried to apply the patches I gave a significant
number
> > of rejects!!
>
> The patches should apply with no problems if you run the patch from
the
> same directory where you untarred the mailman package - ie, in the
> directory where the single 'mailman' dir was created.

I finally figured out the problem. I'd ftp'ed the file to a PC then to
an SGI O2, and
the klm.p1 had extraneous <CR>s in it!

I've been using mailman on an SGI, and my problems/suggestions/fixes for
the next release.

I'm willing to do some of them if somebody will tell me which ones to
do:

1) in mailman/src/*.c put UID and GID in a .h file so I Only need to
edit one file
2) Make /home/mailman a configuration variable
3) Make the logging files /tmp* world writeable (when debugging I had
problems running as nobody and mailman)
    and make the names consistent
4) Use HTMLgen for creating HTML
5) On SGI you can't add aliases to programs in /etc/aliases
    You do it through a .forward file for /home/mailman
    All names in /etc/aliases are therefore aliased to mailman, and I
have a
    mailwrapper script that does what aliases used to do.

6) Add archive more frequently (e.g., daily, hourly, now) to mm_archive
volume_frequency
   I have a fix for this

7) crontab on SGI complains about blank lines in crontab.in

8) Put all the files associated with a list in one subdirectory, that is
independent
   of mailman code.

Best wishes

Terry

W T Hewitt
Manchester Visualization Centre  Telephone: +44 161 275 6095
Manchester Computing                   Fax: +44 161 275 6800
University of Manchester             Email: w.t.hewtt@mcc.ac.uk
Manchester M13 9PL                     URL: http://info.mcc.ac.uk/MVC
United Kingdom

(Formerly Computer Graphics Unit)