[Mailman-Developers] Rendered archives: where to put them?

Scott scott@chronis.pobox.com
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:53:48 -0400

On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 11:32:13AM -0400, Andrew Kuchling wrote:
| I'm (finally!) revisiting the question of archiving for Mailman.
| There are two additional config parameters that seem to be needed.

great!

| First, I need to know into what directory to write the formatted HTML
| files, both public and private.  The private files shouldn't go into
| the actual Web tree, since they'll be accessed via the 'private' CGI
| script.  Either there should be a parameter in mm_defaults/mm_cfg to
| specify the ARCHIVE_HTML_ROOT, or we could always write them into the
| Mailman tree somewhere -- say, ${prefix}/pipermail/html or /formatted
| or whatever.  The second course would then require configuring the Web
| server to map your desired public archive URL to the root of the
| public tree, and the private archives to the CGI script.

I'm for making it specifiable via a config variable.  That way, large
sites could put the archives on a separate partition from the mailman
installation.

| Second, I need to know what URL to use to access the public archives.
| (The private archives should be accessed via the 'private' CGI
| script.)

how about http://HOST/mailman/archives/listname ?  shouldn't this
access both the private and the public archives?

scott