[Mailman-Developers] forwarded message from Dave Wolfe

Corbett J. Klempay cklempay@chimera.acm.jhu.edu
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 17:13:22 -0400 (EDT)

That's one thing worth considering...not to rip off the idea too much, but
would we rather try plugging into something like Glipse to provide search
capabilities instead of rolling our own?  Is the core of Glimpse C? If it
is, I don't know how we'd be able to compete speed-wise with a Python-only
approach, and seeing as Glimpse is the result of a substantial university
project (U of Arizona, right?), I'd bet we'd be lucky to equal its
accuracy.  Then again, that's *super* annoying for the users to have to go
and separately install Glimpse...and it's likely overkill (seeing as it's
capable of doing whole sites, so plugging it in to just do some mail
archives might be a little excessive...although doing so would likely give
good scalability for _huge_ lists).

Corbett J. Klempay			         Quote of the Week:
http://www2.acm.jhu.edu/~cklempay  "College: the fountains of knowledge,
				    where everyone goes to drink."

PGP Fingerprint: 7DA2 DB6E 7F5E 8973 A8E7  347B 2429 7728 76C2 BEA1