[Mailman-developers] List entry indexing

Robin Friedrich friedrich@pythonpros.com
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 17:14:37 -0600

Ken Manheimer wrote:

> Actually, that's not what i meant to imply.  In a maillist system where
> users have "accounts" - ie some kind of identity which they can control
> and which has resources associated with it - it seems to me that the
> reception email address is precisely the right characteristic for
> identifying that account.  It is only thing you really know with any
> assurance *at all* about the user.  Everything else is on their say so.

Maybe I need to retune my frequency... hold on....  Ok.

What I was suggesting was that mailman simply generate an internal keyword for
that subscriber and then set the email address attribute on that account id to
the address they are sending it from. This doesn't violate anything you have
said. AFTER the subscription is made and a password has been secured, then we
allow the user to alter the address attribute using our form. Otherwise we are
stuck with a unsubscribe/resubscribe process for those who have changed their
email accounts.

--
Robin K. Friedrich     Houston, Texas
  Python Professional Services, Inc.