[Mailman-Developers] Listinfo bug.

The Dragon De Monsyne dragondm@delta.integral.org
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 21:08:28 -0500 (CDT)

---1395546950-1388521529-904379952=:10023

On Sat, 29 Aug 1998, Ken Manheimer wrote:

> In Sat, 29 Aug 1998, The Dragon De Monsyne wrote:
>
> > 	Patch patch patch patch patch.... :>
> >
> > 	This fixes a nasty (mis)feature of listinfo that if the hostname
> > you use for your lists' email addresses != the hostname for your base
> > mailman url, the list won't show up on the listinfo page , even if
> > advertized. :P
> >
> > (for example, all of my lists have host_name= 'lists.integral.org' and
> > web_page_url = 'www.integral.org', so I got nothing on my listinfo page
> > :/ )
>
> This actually is a deliberate feature, for what i consider a good reason
> - though perhaps the behavior ought to be selectable.
>
> Imagine you're an ISP who sells "virtual domains", each of which your
> customers situate their own sets of mailing lists.  So each virtual
> domain has its own (virtual) set of lists.  This scenario is by no means
> far fetched.  In fact, here at CNRI we have one machine hosting the
> lists for a variety of projects, each with their own virtual domain. The
> people in the projects specifically wanted this partitioning of the
> lists - as far as their subscribers know, the lists in different virtual
> domains are in entirely different organizations, on entirely different
> hosts!  I would imagine it'd be even more crucial in the ISP virtual
> domain scenario.

	Oh, yes, I know that this is deleberate for virtual hosting.
Virtual hosting will still work with this patch. The only thing this
changes  is _where_ mailman gets the name of the list's virtual hosname.
Before  it got it from the list's 'host_name' attribute, which is the
hostname put on outgoing email.  With this patch it gets the hostname
fronm the hostname in the 'web_page_url'. This makes more sense, since
it's web virtual hosts you are talking about here.

	-The Dragon De Monsyne

---1395546950-1388521529-904379952=:10023--