[Mailman-Developers] Listinfo bug.

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Sat, 29 Aug 1998 21:44:06 -0400 (EDT)

---1395546950-1388521529-904379952=:10023

In Sat, 29 Aug 1998, The Dragon De Monsyne wrote:

> 	Patch patch patch patch patch.... :>
>
> 	This fixes a nasty (mis)feature of listinfo that if the hostname
> you use for your lists' email addresses != the hostname for your base
> mailman url, the list won't show up on the listinfo page , even if
> advertized. :P
>
> (for example, all of my lists have host_name= 'lists.integral.org' and
> web_page_url = 'www.integral.org', so I got nothing on my listinfo page
> :/ )

This actually is a deliberate feature, for what i consider a good reason
- though perhaps the behavior ought to be selectable.

Imagine you're an ISP who sells "virtual domains", each of which your
customers situate their own sets of mailing lists.  So each virtual
domain has its own (virtual) set of lists.  This scenario is by no means
far fetched.  In fact, here at CNRI we have one machine hosting the
lists for a variety of projects, each with their own virtual domain. The
people in the projects specifically wanted this partitioning of the
lists - as far as their subscribers know, the lists in different virtual
domains are in entirely different organizations, on entirely different
hosts!  I would imagine it'd be even more crucial in the ISP virtual
domain scenario.

I suppose it may make sense to offer a site setting by which the site
administrator can select whether or not the different domains hosted by
a machine are compartmented this way, but i would think the
compartmenting mode would be the default one.

(By the way, thanks for your efforts!  Among other things, i'm
particularly happy to see the standard sendmail.py integration.  It'll
be nice to not have to maintain our own version!)

ken manheimer
klm@python.org

---1395546950-1388521529-904379952=:10023--