[Mailman-Developers] Sendmail.cf wizard question - virtual-hosting

The Dragon De Monsyne dragondm@delta.integral.org
Mon, 3 Aug 1998 21:05:52 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Ken Manheimer wrote:

> I have a question for any sendmail.cf wizards out there - a hack to a
> recent cf ruleset (mine is from 8.9.0) to circumvent what i consider a
> bug, or at least a misfeature, that interferes with using sendmail for
> "virtual hosting".
>
> The problem was that no matter what i did (building the cf with
> masquerading, virtual user, whatever it was), the "to:" header of
> messages posted to a maillist was always transformed to the primary
> address of the host where the maillist was situated, even when the
> original message was addressed to one of the "virtual" host addrs.  I
> eventually poked and prodded in the rulesets (shudder), and discovered
> that commenting out one rule, which is supposed to use the name server
> to canonicalize an address, prevents that transformation from
> happening.  (It's part of ruleset 96, which was apparently is "the
> bottom half of ruleset 3" - boy, i *do not like* touching cf ruleset
> code!)

	Hmmmm...  I have a Debian linux system with Sendmail 8.8.5 on it,
and I actually have this working.  I didn't have to change the sendmail.cf
by hand, tho. My cf is generated by the sendmailconfig tool that comes
with debian (tho' I do grok sendmail.cf's reasonabally well), which uses
M4.

	The  keys to getting this to work are:
	1) use the limited_masquerade feature (see sendmail.org website)
	2) the vhost name must be in class w (i.e. in the sendmail.cw
	   file, usually)
	3) The major key is your DNS setup. the vhost has to have an
	   Address record, or just an MX. It can't be a CNAME (I think
	   this is spec'ed in the RFC's somewhere. )

	-The Dragon De Monsyne