[Mailman-developers] access to admin pages

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:15:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Scott wrote:

> i have a little concern about the ability to access administrative
> pages via the web without password confirmation.
> [...]
> for all these reasons, and for the sake of the design of the
> administrative cgi script, it seems that it may be a good idea to
> stick the entire interface behind a single login and use cookies from
> there to allow access.

I have the same concern, and agree that the admin pages should be behind
the admin password, instead of in front of it.  I've already included a
cookie mechanism (gotten from off the net), for the private archives
which could be adapted to the purpose - though i think it should be
refined a bit to reasonable timeout the cookies, which the mechanism
supports...

> [...]
> type of authentication to one section.  it was quite complicated, as
> the script was designed for authentication only when changes were
> requested.   as more different things develop under the administrative
> interface, some of them will require authentication for viewing and
> some won't.  changing around the authentication scheme every time will
> involve work.  it would be much simpler just to have one login at the
> onset and to cookies from there.

There actually is already a few styles for soliciting authentication
info.  In several places, the authentication information is required to
accompany changes.  For the private archives, when you visit one of
those pages and lack a cookie with sufficient authentication info, you
get an authentication soliciting page, and then proceed to the page you
really wanted.  I agree that the latter style is much nicer for many
situations.  I think password changes should still use the old style,
but anywhere else the prompt could come up only when there's no cookie
containing the authentication...

Ken