[Mailman-developers] forwarded message from Andrew Kuchling

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Sun, 26 Apr 1998 13:47:28 -0400 (EDT)

It looks like there may be a problem, or at least some sendmail
(8.8.8) sensitivities, in the way that mailman is mime-encoding the
digests.  Does anyone have enough MIME acquaintance to have an
immediate idea whether or not the current format is correct?  In any
case, i responded that i would look into the problem tomorrow, and
plan to look into using the python distribution mime facilities - in
particular mimify.py - to use known quantities for the encoding.
Clues would be appreciated...

ken manheimer
klm@python.org

From: postmaster@mch.sni.de
To: xml-sig-admin@python.org
Cc: Winfried.Magerl@mch.sni.de (Winfried Magerl),
        Roland.Schad@mch.sbs.de (Roland Schad),
        Helmut.Peisl@mch.sni.de (Helmut Peisl)
Subject: Problems with list xml-sig
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 1998 16:49:25 +0200 (MDT)

Dear Adminstrator,

we have a lot of trouble with your mail sent from xml-sig@python.org
It crashes (memory fault) our sendmail V8.8.8 when it attempts
to deliver the mail to our local receipient.
Worse, it prevents processing the whole queue because it always
stumbles over your mail and then it crashes.

We have tried a few things and we found that the problems is
one specific line in the messageheader:
HContent-type: multipart/digest; boundary="__--__--"

If we remove this line, everything works fine.

We send and receive some ten thousand mails a day and never run into
problems like this.

Would you please alterate this line so this won't happen again.

Thank you very much for your assistance in helping us
to solve this problem.

Sincerely,
Gerald Rinske
Postmaster

--
Internet Administration Munich
Siemens Business Services, 81739 Munich, Germany