[IPython-dev] Should I still contribute to IPython ?

Jason Grout jason-sage at creativetrax.com
Tue Dec 18 11:28:54 EST 2012

On 12/18/12 9:12 AM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
> On 18 December 2012 16:03, Jason Grout <jason-sage at creativetrax.com
> <mailto:jason-sage at creativetrax.com>> wrote:
>
>     If Github had a better issue tracker, it'd be much easier.  For example,
>     if you could get notifications for certain labels, and if random people
>     could add labels (or only add certain types of labels), things would be
>     much better.
>

> Perhaps, but I think we could also make better use of the tools that are
> there on Github. For instance, we could try to assign all bugs as they
> come in. You don't have to personally resolve issues assigned to you,
> but you're the point of contact until it's resolved or reassigned.
>
> It would certainly be nice if non-core developers - especially bug
> submitters - could do labelling. Maybe we should lobby Github to make
> this possible. They've certainly listened to users in the past.

Fernando has brought this up in the past, but in addition, if there were
any way to have key-value labels like Google Code, plus filters:

http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/IssueTracker#Filter_rules

that would go a long way to making the issue tracker more usable.  To be
fair, filters could be done with service hooks.

Thanks,

Jason