[IPython-dev] Pasting fix, unicode woes

Fernando Perez fperez.net at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 16:12:55 EDT 2010

Hi Thomas,

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 2:40 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just looked at the changes made by 2to3, and it's actually closer than
> I had imagined, although I still don't think it's quite close enough to try
> to have a single codebase. We could support several of the changes with
> little effort, e.g. using print_function from __future__. Unicode strings
> would be the big problem: there'd either be conditional code scattered
> throughout, or confusing abstractions to hide the difference. We'd also need
> to do something with the code that handles old-style classes (I removed
> references to ClassType and InstanceType from the py3 branch).
>
> To sum up: I think it's easiest to use the magic of DVCSs and 2to3 to keep
> separate branches.

Sounds good.   We've been doing print_function in all new code and
adding it to existing files as time allows (basically I do it if the
file isn't too huge as I work on something, I've left the really big
ones alone for now).  And hopefully we'll be able to get rid of
old-style classes altogether at some point.

>> Great.  Keep us posted, and when you think you are ready to start
>> considering changes from -prep back upstream, we'll look at them.
>
> I've done all the changes I've got planned for now (I essentially looked
> through the changes I'd had to apply after running 2to3, and reapplied those
> that work in 2.6). Is there a standard set of tests I should run to confirm
> I haven't broken anything?

Yes, once you install ipython,  a script called 'iptest' is installed
that runs the entire test suite and tries to be smart about not
running things for unmet dependencies.  Though it's quite likely that
the dependency checking may have gone a bit stale, and that it will
attempt to run tests it shouldn't, that would need to be cleaned up
first.