[IPython-dev] Pasting fix, unicode woes

Thomas Kluyver takowl at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 05:40:17 EDT 2010

On 9 September 2010 03:40, Fernando Perez <fperez.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> The issue is balancing:
>
> - the nastiness of a codebase chock full of conditionals
>
> - the load of maintaining two codebases without them diverging.
>
> I really don't know which way the balance will tilt between these
> competing forces; I'm more than happy to hear from you or others on
> this matter.

I've just looked at the changes made by 2to3, and it's actually closer than
I had imagined, although I still don't think it's quite close enough to try
to have a single codebase. We could support several of the changes with
little effort, e.g. using print_function from __future__. Unicode strings
would be the big problem: there'd either be conditional code scattered
throughout, or confusing abstractions to hide the difference. We'd also need
to do something with the code that handles old-style classes (I removed
references to ClassType and InstanceType from the py3 branch).

To sum up: I think it's easiest to use the magic of DVCSs and 2to3 to keep
separate branches.

>  Great.  Keep us posted, and when you think you are ready to start
> considering changes from -prep back upstream, we'll look at them.

I've done all the changes I've got planned for now (I essentially looked
through the changes I'd had to apply after running 2to3, and reapplied those
that work in 2.6). Is there a standard set of tests I should run to confirm
I haven't broken anything?

Best wishes,
Thomas