[IPython-dev] Re: [IPython-user] win32 installer woes...

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 24 15:58:17 EST 2005

Viktor Ransmayr wrote:

>>where they run from.  In case anyone is interested in testing this
>>fixed win32 installer, it is here:
>>
>>http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/fperez/tmp/ipython-0.6.9-1.win32.exe
>>
>>Feedback on how this release works for Windows users would be greatly
>>appreciated.
>

> Installation, Usage of IPython & PySH plus De-Installation works for me.

Great, thanks for the info.

> I wanted to give this feedback right away to let you know. - However
> I'll still want to
> follow up on my side to find out, why I did explicitely change the
> directory.
>
> I'll keep you informed about my findings.

This may have been a remnant of some intermediate tests, or of the old manual
installation code.  As far as I can tell, it's now completely unnecessary.  I
am attaching the current version of the post-install script, which is a
cleanup of yours. The accompanying setup.py is also here.  You can see that
all the post-install script does is call create_shortcut, which can be done
from anywhere in the filesystem.  There is no need to be at any particular
location, hence no need to call chdir().

Now, it's obviously a bug in the python installer to segfault on chdir(), but
that's one I simply don't have time to pursue right now.  It would probably be
a good idea to follow this up by logging it on sourceforge, if you can confirm
the segfaults with

http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/fperez/tmp/ipython-0.6.9.win32.exe

Regards,