[Inpycon] Suggestion: Travel grant for Speakers

Anand B Pillai anandpillai at letterboxes.org
Tue Dec 5 02:21:32 EST 2017

On Tuesday 05 December 2017 12:31 PM, Peeyush Aggarwal wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Kracekumar Ramaraj <me at kracekumar.com
> <mailto:me at kracekumar.com>> wrote:
>
>     [...]
>     It may be useful to consider reimbursing the travel cost of the
>     speakers. Also, it gives an incentive to attract the speakers who
>     otherwise won’t consider delivering a talk at the conference and
>     many more values for the conference.

Good idea. Rather than giving standard travel reimbursements, a faster
and more logistically manageable approach would be to fix the travel
grants at certain tiers by considering the distance to venue and perhaps
using a standard candle -> like economy flight costs or 2nd A/C train
fare. This avoids all the hassle of inspecting boarding passes and the like.

We probably have around 20-30 speakers max - so at an average of say
5-6K per speaker - the cost should not be more than 1.4 - 2 L, so this
is definitely affordable and can be applied across the scale.

If it tilts the finances too much, put this as an option in the CFP and
only reimburse if the speaker selects that option at the time of
submitting the proposal.