[Inpycon] Website evaluation

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Wed May 27 08:19:29 CEST 2009

I think Kenneth's app has most of it as I see. See my comments.

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>   I spent some time yesterday looking through the existing PyCon
> sites and tried to come up with a list of 'features' that a site
> needs. I then tried to evaluate greenchilly against that. Here are my
> feelings.
>

> 0. Static pages with categories and a navbar
>  We need to be able to create single pages like "About",  etc. which
> should be classifiable according to category. A navbar should allow
> navigation

Kenneth,

Can we have  Flat Pages enabled. I think its better not to use a wiki
here.Only the web master need to have control and others can mail the web
master.

> 1. Blog
>  The site *has* to have a blog. It would be nice if it supported
> podcasts but that might leech our bandwidth too much.

We can have any of the django blog modules there, we just need a simple tag
and post module. no fancy features here.

> 2. Registration system
>  People should be able to register in advance (ie. Register and get
> some kind of token which they can use to pay at the venue on the date
> of the conference)

I think he is already got something done on the site. Only thing he need to
probably add a token generated and send as a part of mail once the person
registers.

> 3. Link lists
>  A way to add a list of links to other sites

This is something we can do in less than half an hour in django

> 4. Uploading content
>  A way for people to upload their presentations and stuff so that we
> can archive them for the future.

I believe this feature is already there in Kenneth's app

> I think 0, 3, 4  (and perhaps 1) can be covered by a wiki or a CMS. 2.
> is 'conference specific functionality'.
>
> If there's anything else people can think of, please chime in.
>
> I think the greenchilly db was reset so I don't have access to the
> admin section to try everything out. However, KEnneth can probably
> tell us whether these things are satisfied.
>
> If we can get clear answers for these, we can wrap up the site
> business quickly.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> ~noufal