[Image-SIG] How to tell Pillow where to look for header files (on OS X)?

Mark Sienkiewicz sienkiew at stsci.edu
Fri Mar 15 22:24:39 CET 2013

On 03/15/13 16:44, Felix Schwarz wrote:
> Hey,
>
> how can I specify the include dir for header files (jpeglib.h) for Pillow
> without modifying the source?

There are parameters for setup.py to specify where the include files and library files are.  The interface is a bit klunky, but it worked like this for me:

build_ext means to build the C extensions; this command recognizes -I for another directory of include files and -L for another directory of library files

     python setup.py build_ext -I ~/homebrew/include -L ~/homebrew/lib

build means to do both the python and the C extension, but distutils recognizes that the C extension is built already, so you don't need to specify -I/-L -- a good thing, because it doesn't recognize them!

     python setup.py build

install copies the build files to the install directory; the above commands did all of the build steps

     python setup.py install

There are options to specify a specific directory to install in.  I usually use:

python setup.py install --home ~/py

to get ~/py/bin (add to PATH) and ~/py/lib/python (add to PYTHONPATH).

Regards,

Mark S.