[Image-SIG] Adding Python 3 support

Brian Crowell brian at fluggo.com
Tue Oct 9 06:51:00 CEST 2012

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Hajime Nakagami <nakagami at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's most import bug(?) is only support Python2.7 and Python3.3
>
> If you need widely version support, Probabry use 2to3 approach.

Yes, that seems to me to be the main trouble. Anything done to the
Python source will break compatibility with code before 2.6. I'm sure
that's why it looks like PIL has been ported to Python 3 several
times, but none of them stuck.

How do other developers feel about that? Maybe letting old PIL 1.1.7
take care of anyone using 2.5/2.6 or older, and focusing on 2.6/2.7
and up? Or perhaps maintaining a separate branch with Python 3 code?

--Brian