[Image-SIG] IOError "decoder jpeg not available" on Win7 (2nd try)

David lists at theflorys.org
Mon Sep 27 03:38:35 CEST 2010

On 9/24/2010 2:00 PM, Edward Cannon wrote:
> the only things I can think of is writing a script that opens a jpeg and
> trying that or maybe trying 1.1.6 instead of 1.1.7. I personally don't
> use the pilconvert script, that might be the problem
> On 9/24/2010 7:44 AM, David wrote:
>> On 9/8/2010 6:04 PM, Edward Cannon wrote:
>>> That seems weird. I have win7 and python 2.6 and do not have any
>>> problems. Maybe a clean install will help.
>>> Edward Cannon
>>> Unicorn School

>> I just did a clean install of PIL 1.1.7 from the Win32 binary. I still
>> get an error message when I run pyconvert. Here is my command:
>>
>> C:\Users\David\Pictures\test>pilconvert test.jpg test.png
>> cannot convert image (<type 'exceptions.IOError'>:decoder jpeg not
>> available)
>>
>> What file contains the "decoder jpeg" and how might I find it?
>>
>> David

I solved the problem on my third "re-install PIL"  The problem was that
on Win7 the installation puts a copy in my

C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\PIL

directory BUT (the kicker) I had a second installation in my

C:\Users\David\AppData\Roaming\Python\Python26\site-packages

that also had to be deleted before doing the reinstall.  The second one
may come from PyPM.  I am not sure but deleting it solved the problem.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

David