[Image-SIG] PIL and Python 3.1

joe oettinger joeoettinger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 11:57:55 CET 2010

First, I'd like to say thanks to  Fredrik Lundh and those working with him
for the huge and effective effort they've expended to establish and maintain
PIL.

Second, that PIL for python 3.1 would be a wonderful advance.

Personally, I just dabble in Python, but I've got an interesting story to
tell:

My son, who writes software for TI, recently wanted to help his 10-year-old
learn to program. I suggested Python. He downloaded the latest version of
Python and bought "Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner" (which uses
PIL and Pygames). He's a very busy engineer. The kid is bright, but has many
other interests. As you will have guessed, they've postponed their project
for a while.

I'm sure  that lack of support libraries like PIL and numpy has slowed the
adoption of Python 3.x. I'd guess that the uncertainty about which version
to use has even slowed the overall adoption of Python by new users.

Conversely, Python3.x with PIL and other support libraries would be
unbeatable - a beautiful intellectual achievement.

Thanks again to Lundh et al for all their selfless work!

Joe Oettinger