[Image-SIG] Opening TIFF and HPGL files using Python PIL getting IO Errors

Satya Gundapaneni Satya.Gundapaneni at zimmer.com
Mon Aug 16 15:51:25 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am new to Python.
I have a requirement to extract some portion of the image and save that portion.
After some investigation in net I found out that Python and PIL has the capability to crop and the image and save that image to different file.

But the problem I am facing is  I am not able to open TIFF and HPGL files.

When I try to open TIFF images I am getting  "IOError: decoder group4 not available"
While opening HPGL images I am getting "IOError: cannot identify image file"

Will I be able to open TIFF and HPGL files in PIL or not? All my images are in either TIFF or HPGL formats.

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Satyanarayana Gundapaneni
Zimmer Inc.