[Image-SIG] Color problems with larger images

Eric O'Donnell svvampy at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 09:55:13 CEST 2008

Hi,

I'm getting some weird colour artifacts when I open larger images with
PIL. Can't seem to find anything relevant in the archives.

The code to replicate is pretty simple so I should just post that.

#begin code block
from PIL import Image, ImageWin

filename = "Sumida_river05s3200.jpg"
#http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Sumida_river05s3200.jpg

im = Image.open(filename)
im.load()
print im.mode

w = ImageWin.ImageWindow(im)
w.mainloop()
#end code block

The image is about 1.7 megabytes.

I'm using PIL 1.1.6 with Python 2.5 on WindowsXP.

If I shrink the image to half size in the GIMP, the colour distortion
decreases. Shrink the original to a quarter size and the artifacts
disappear. I thought this might be associated with CMYK problems from
the archives, but none of the patches in the list changed the
behavior, although they did fix the CMYK images linked. The image
looks normal with other viewers.

Thanks,
Eric.