[Image-SIG] VUV color space conversions??

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Tue Aug 26 18:29:28 CEST 2008

Ashish Sethi wrote:

> I am back with a new doubt (all be it in the same color space spectrum)
> MY doubts are regarding YUV color spectrum:-

(I suspect you mean "question" here, not "doubt"; the latter usually
implies disagreement.  see http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=444996  )

> 1. How r yuv files saved in memory, I mean the format of yuv files and
> how can PIL open yuv files.

depends on the file format.   PIL doesn't support any file format that
supports the YUV color space (the closest you get is YCrCb).

  > 2. How to obtain Y,U,V data of individual pixels and convert YUV 4:4:4
> to 4:2:0,    4:1:1, 4:2:2 and vice versa

that's chroma subsampling; see

     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling